Chocolate Sponge Cake | Chocolate Castella Cake
Sponge cake is a light fluffy cake made with flour eggs and sugar powder. The sponge cake is thought to be one of the first non yeasted or non baking powder cakes. In this recipe I have taken atmost care to replicate the original recipe.
Servings 5 People / Each Slice
- ¼ + ½ Cup Cake flour
- ¼ Cup Hershey's cocoa powder
- ¼ + ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ¼ Cup Sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Pinch Salt Pinch of salt
- 4 Separate Egg yolk
- 4 Separate Egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 liter Hot water
- Combine flour and cocoa powder together well and keep separate
- Add egg yolk, powdered sugar, Pinch of salt, milk, vanilla, oil into the flour and mix until blend.
- Take mixing bowl and whisk egg white until little foamy steak peak. Add lemon juice, Powdered Sugar , vanilla essence and beat well.
- once done, take the coco mix and layer combine to the egg batter.
- Move cake batter into the baking pan, tap the pan gentle few times to remove air bubbles
- Place batter in baking tray filled with 1/2inch hot water (this will help in fluffiness of the cake )
- Bake for 45 minutes in 150 degree heat
- After baking bring the cake to room temperature
- Cut and serve.